Kitchen fires prompt safety advice by fire service

MBTC fire warning
MBTC fire warning

Three kitchen fires have prompted safety warnings by Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue Service.

The fires were all quickly put out but potentially could have turned into something more tragic, a spokesman said.

Andy Martin, BFRS Community Safety Officer, said: “Half of all accidental fires in the home start in the kitchen - often because of distractions like phone calls or family. So whatever happens elsewhere in the house, always make sure you have one eye on the hob or oven and take care cooking.”

The incidents included a cooker fire at 2.42pm yesterday at Carlisle Road, Bedford, caused by faulty gas pipe. Fire engines from Bedford and Kempston Community Fire Stations attended.

Fire services were later called to another kitchen fire at Mary Brash Court, Lullington Close, Luton and earlier today (Friday), to a kitchen fire at Chandos Court, Chandos Street, Bedford. Several fire engines were mobilised together with the Bedford aerial platform,

The small fire in the kitchen had caused a lot of smoke and one elderly woman was treated by the ambulance service for smoke inhalation.

Follow these tips to stay safe in the kitchen:

Always take pans off the heat or turn them down to avoid the risk of fire if you need to leave the kitchen whilst cooking.

If a pan catches fire, don’t take any risks – Get Out, Stay Out, and Call 999.

When you’ve finished cooking double check the hob is completely off.

Keep tea towels and cloths away from the cooker and hob.

Take care if you’re wearing loose clothing – this can easily catch fire.

Keep matches and saucepan handles out of children’s reach and don’t

leaving children in the kitchen alone when cooking.

Keep electrical leads and appliances away from water

Place grills and hot pans away from curtains and kitchen rolls.

A build-up of fat and grease can ignite a fire so keep kitchen equipment clean and in good working order.

Be careful that hot cooking oil doesn’t overheat as it can catch fire easily.

Never throw water on a chip pan fire.

In the event of a fire, have an escape plan in place.

Get a smoke alarm and test it weekly.

For more information on fire safety, please visit www.facebook.com/firekills or the

Cooking Safety page of the Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue Website at: bit.ly/1L4Mzbj

(http://www.bedsfire.com/CommunitySafety/HomeFireSafety/Pages/Cooking%20Saf