Firefighters carrying out a routine inspection of a building were called to attend an emergency – in a flat across the road.
A Bedford crew was mid-way through an exercise to familiarise themselves with the newly-built flats in Conduit Road, Bedford, when the shout came that a flat in the building opposite was on fire.
A firefighter at the scene said: “We were in the St Bede’s development when the call came in there was a fire in Conduit Road. I thought, hang on – we’re already here!”
The crew drove the few metres to the incident and were joined by two other appliances from Kempston station.
As police officers blocked the road with patrol cars, four fire fighters in breathing apparatus entered the building to ensure everybody was out safely.
Bedford Station Commander Lorraine Moore said it was a small fire in a second floor flat, which was quickly extinguished.
She added: “In this instance, the smoke detector did its job in alerting people to the fire. I would urge everybody to ensure they have smoke alarms installed, and that they regularly test them.”
A brigade spokesman confirmed the fire was reported at 11.11am on Tuesday, October 7, after neighbours could smell burning.
The fire was under control by 11.50am and no-one was hurt in the incident.