Family have ‘lucky escape’ from house fire

Fire crews attend chemical spill at Charles Wells Brewery
Fire crews attend chemical spill at Charles Wells Brewery

A family celebrating Diwali had a lucky escape when burning tea lights caused their home to go up in flames.

The fire quickly spread as more than 30 candles caught fire on an unknown material.

Firefighters battled the flames at the home in Saint Leonard Street, Bedford at around 8.30pm last night.

They used a fire blanket to extinguish the blaze - helping to ensure there were no casualties.

Station Commander Jason Gell said: “This family had a very lucky escape.

“Their prompt call to us meant we were able to put the fire out quickly before it spread.

“If it had it could have caused a very serious fire.”

Firefighters from the Bedford Community Station found there was no working smoke alarm in the home so promptly fitted one after putting out the fire.

Mr Gell added: “We’ll be visiting surrounding properties today to give them fire safety advice and make sure they have smoke alarms and that they test them regularly.

“With the holiday season approaching our message is please be careful with candles, tea lights and other naked flames.

“Use LED ones instead if you can.”