Elderly woman saved from a fire in Bedford after lightning strikes her home

Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Neighbours rushed to the rescue of an elderly woman in Dudley Street last night when lightning struck her house and caused a fire.

Firefighters found that lightning had struck her TV aerial, sparking a fire that spread into the front living room of the property.

The woman was safely removed from the property and treated for smoke inhalation.

A Beds Fire and Rescue statement said: “As the fire was caused by a lightning strike on the property’s TV aerial, firefighters conducted safety investigations in the roof space of adjoining properties.

“Fire crews used positive pressure ventilation to remove the smoke from the property.”