Street attack on murderers’ sister

Crown Court
Crown Court

Shajidur Rahman, 20, had part his nose amputated by a meat cleaver and was left with deeps scars when he was set upon in a Bedford street.

His friend Isaac Stone, 19, was punched, kicked and fatally stabbed in Costin Street at 6.20pm on January 25.

Nearly three months later on April 18, Rahman was out in Ford End Road, Bedford with friends when he saw Shiuly Begum, the sister of Rubel and Javed Miah, two of the men who were to receive life sentences for the murder.

When she gave evidence at the murder trial in September she said: “I was followed from behind. I was kicked and I was beaten up on the floor.

“A lady dragged me into a car and saved my life. The car was also attacked. They were laughing.”

Rahman and his friends pulled up their hoods when they saw Ms Begum. They approached her from behind and pushed her to the ground, where she was kicked. A woman driver came to her aid and, as she drove off, the car was spat at. DNA was taken from the saliva and traced to Rahman. Ms Begum was taken to hospital for treatment.

The background to the murder of Isaac Stone and the mutilation of Shajidur Rahman was a music video posted on YouTube the previous day. Isaac, Shajidur Rahman and others were in the video, which was entitled: “Go Missing”. In the course of the film alcohol was sprayed over the name ‘Raz’ that had been painted on a wall.

This enraged the others, who armed themselves with knives and meat cleavers and carried out the attack. Four men received life sentences.

Rahman, of Clarendon Street, Bedford, appeared for sentence at Luton Crown Court on Monday for causing Ms Begum actual bodily harm.

Defending, Gerald Colbon said: “Mr Rahman had suffered life-changing injuries. He had been in a great deal of pain and distress. He came across the victim. They met by chance. He says he saw something like a smirk and he reacted. He bitterly regrets that. He said the ‘red mist’ descended.

“He was not himself. He was taking medication for depression at the time.”

Mr Colbon said Rahman had worked before the attack and was looking for a job now, but he said it is difficult given his facial injuries.

Recorder Patrick Fields passed a six month sentence suspended for two years. He ordered him to complete 120 hours’ unpaid work. He must not contact Ms Begum for two years, should pay £600 costs and an £80 victim surcharge.