Everyone knows someone who has made a difference in their local community.
Whether it be setting up groups to keep youngsters off the streets and out of trouble, helping out at their local school or making sure an elderly neighbour is not left feeling lonely, these are the people that help create a strong, vibrant community.
And as your top local newspaper, we believe the efforts of these mainly unsug heroes and heroines should be recognised.
Every year the Leighton Buzzard Observer, Luton News, Dunstable Gazette, Bedford Times and Citizen and Biggleswade Chronicle, help to honour the work of people you have nominated.
So we want to hear from you about people in your community who have made a real difference.
Sponsored by The Harpur Trust and in association with Costa, Pride in Bedfordshire is a special awards event that recognises the achievements of special people within our area; those who have gone out of their way to help others, those who have overcome hardship and those who support a positive attitude within our community.
We have 10 categories in which you can nominate someone. All you have to do is go online and complete an online form saying why you believe someone should receive our prestigious awards.
The categories are:
- Care in the Community
- Service with a Smile Young Achiever sponsored by The Harpur Trust
- Friendly Neighbour sponsored by Eagle Ale
- Excellence in Education sponsored by University of Bedfordshire
- Raising the Profile of the Town sponsored by Nisa Local
- Volunteer of the Year sponsored by BPHA
- Fundraiser of the Year sponsored by Mayfair Insurance, Finance and Mortgage Services
- Unsung Hero/Heroine sponsored by Keen Shay Keens
- People’s Choice Award
There will be a special presentation evening when the winners will be announced, at the Bedford Corn Exchange on November 27.
>Find out more online at jpmidlandsevents.co.uk/pride-in-bedfordshire-2014