Blaze at Bedford home leaves it with 50 per cent fire damage

editorial image

A blaze was tackled at a house in Forester Close, Haynes Silver End last night.

riginally starting in a shed, the flames engulfed the nearby property and began to burn at the top of the two storey house.

Fire control received a call at a 11.08am on August 8, reporting a fire in a shed at the side of a three bedroom semi-detached house.

Three fire engines, two from Kempston and one from Shefford were sent to the fire.

When they arrived they found the fire had spread to the house and called for support from the Bedford Aerial Platform.

Two more fire engines from Biggleswade and Bedford were also sent to the blaze. The fire also spread to the roof of the house.

Wearing breathing aids to protect themselves against smoke and fumes, fire fighters fought the flames using a fire jet and three fire hoses, with the Aerial Platform fighting the fire from above.

The fire was extinguished by 1pm and caused 50 per cent fire damage to the ground and first floors of the house and completely destroyed the roof and the shed.

Firefighters stayed on the scene for several hours damping down the property.

Station Commander Trevor Gradwell-Smith said: “Fortunately someone was in the house and noticed the fire when it was getting underway. “Firefighters worked extremely hard to get this developing fire under control and prevent it spreading to the neighbouring home.

“We believe this was an accidental ignition which may have been the result of a stray ember from a controlled fire nearby from a previous evening, which ignited a wood pile by the shed.

“The wind then helped whip this up into a more serious fire and that in turn spread to the shed and the house. There is no reason to suspect foul play.

“During the incident we were able to save several cats and dogs from the property and prevent the fire spreading as much as it would have had we been called even a few minutes later.”

The incident was closed at 1.42pm and there were no casualties.