A memorial to thousands of First World War soldiers who trained in Mid Beds is being rededicated this weekend.
The Duke of Bedford memorial in Ampthill Park has been restored over the past 12 months.
A service of Rededication and Remembrance is being staged on Saturday at 3.45pm.
The memorial stands on the site of the Ampthill Training Depot where over two years 2,235 men were trained before serving on the Western Front.
Sadly 707 died. Many were not recovered from the battlefields and have no known graves or headstone markers.
In 1916 Ampthill Training Depot was earmarked for closure when the Military Service Act was sanctioned and conscription introduced.
Herbrand Arthur Russell, the 11th Duke of Bedford and camp commander, requested further uses for the camp and it was used as a command depot for returning wounded, battle-weary soldiers.
After the war the Duke met with Cecil Greenwood Hare in Ampthill Park where he asked him to design a memorial cross, in keeping with Katherine’s Cross. The sword on the top was copied from the Crusaders sword of Lord Pembroke, Protector of England.
The memorial, built in 1919 on the site of the depot’s adjutant office, was opened by the Duke of Bedford and later visited by Princess Beatrice.
The restoration has involved cleaning and minor stonework repair and conservation of the roll of honour inscriptions. It was funded through grant aid from The War Memorials Trust and WREN as well as local donations.
Due to limited seating on Saturday visitors are advised to bring a chair or blanket.